Why choose Mechanical Engineering?
Opportunity. Versatility. A close-knit community. Hands-on experience. Theory turned into practice. Challenge. Fun. Our students tell you why they chose ME at Mines »
Mechanical Engineering by the numbers
master’s and PhD students
2021 average starting salary for BSME graduates
awarded research in
fiscal year 2021
undergrads who complete internships
companies, national labs and
universities that hire our grads
in return-on-investment for
low income students
in Best Colleges for Engineering (Money, 2020)
Alaina Clar: "The Mines student community has diverse passions, and you can always find an outlet for them."
Christine Yee: "If someone is interested in coming to Mines I would tell them that this school is a rewarding and challenging experience."
see more student highlights »
Faculty & Research Highlights
see more department highlights »
Want to learn more about Mechanical Engineering at Mines?
for Working Professionals
- Mines, Lunar Outpost developing technology for autonomous lunar excavation and construction
- Alaina Clar: "I plan to start my own company and pay it forward by making sports more accessible to people with hearing loss by manufacturing protective equipment for hearing devices."
- Colorado School of Mines to launch online master’s degree in mechanical engineering
- Four Mines faculty members named Fulbright Scholars
- Six international teams descend on Mines campus for Over the Dusty Moon Challenge
- Christine Yee: "I chose Mines because of the positive reputation for shaping well-rounded engineers prepared for a long-term career."
- Eliseo Esparza: "My dream job is to use engineering to create change in the world through diversity."
- 19 Mines faculty members awarded promotion, tenure for 2022-2023
- Craig Brice: "Mines has a far-reaching, rock-solid reputation in the professional world."
- 5 Mines students named NSF Graduate Research Fellows
In 2024, the year of our 150th anniversary, we will celebrate Colorado School of Mines’ past, present and possibilities. By celebrating and supporting the Campaign for MINES@150 you will help elevate Mines to be an accessible, top-of-mind and first-choice for students, faculty, staff, recruiters and other external partners. When you give, you are ensuring Mines becomes even more distinctive and highly sought-after by future students, alumni, industry, and government partners over the next 150 years. We look forward to celebrating Mines’ sesquicentennial with you and recognizing the key role you play in making the MINES@150 vision a reality through your investments of time, talent and treasure. Give now