Why choose Mechanical Engineering?
Opportunity. Versatility. A close-knit community. Hands-on experience. Theory turned into practice. Challenge. Fun. Our students tell you why they chose ME at Mines »
Mechanical Engineering by the numbers
master’s and PhD students
2019–20 average starting salary for BSME graduates
awarded research in
fiscal year 2020
undergrads who complete internships
companies, national labs and
universities that hire our grads
in Best Colleges for Engineering (Money, 2020)
in BSME degrees awarded
(ASEE Engineering by the Numbers, 2019)
see more student highlights »
Faculty & Research Highlights
New research will accelerate telerobotics technology by developing seamless, in-hand robotic telemanipulation
see more department highlights »
Want to learn more about Mechanical Engineering at Mines?
for Working Professionals
- Mines, Lockheed Martin to host Over the Dusty Moon student design challenge
- Mines, Red Rocks Community College receive funding from DOE to improve energy efficiency in manufacturing
- Anna Christiansen: "In fall 2020 and summer 2021, I had the privilege of interning at SpaceX working on battery systems for the Starlink satellite constellation."
- Colorado School of Mines sophomore wins global humanitarian award
- Mines researchers provide first dynamic demonstration of kinking mechanism in engineered layered ceramics
- Paulo Cesar Tabares-Velasco wins ASHRAE Distinguished Service Award
- Colorado School of Mines to launch quantum engineering minor
- Billy Beasley: "Studying and working at the Mines Ropeway Center allows me to chase my dream in a way that no other engineering school can offer."
In 2024, the year of our 150th anniversary, we will celebrate Colorado School of Mines’ past, present and possibilities. By celebrating and supporting the Campaign for MINES@150 you will help elevate Mines to be an accessible, top-of-mind and first-choice for students, faculty, staff, recruiters and other external partners. When you give, you are ensuring Mines becomes even more distinctive and highly sought-after by future students, alumni, industry, and government partners over the next 150 years. We look forward to celebrating Mines’ sesquicentennial with you and recognizing the key role you play in making the MINES@150 vision a reality through your investments of time, talent and treasure. Give now