Teaching Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Adam Duran joins Mines Mechanical Engineering after nearly 15 years as an automotive research engineer, program director, and technical consultant. At the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) he worked on new and emerging technologies and launched a cleantech startup accelerator in partnership with Shell (GCxNREL.com). As a consultant he specialized in connected and autonomous vehicles standards and test development. Author of more than 20 peer reviewed publications, his research interests include automotive and aerospace systems, design and optimization, leadership and entrepreneurship, and renewable energy and cleantech.
Adam’s previous teaching experience includes serving multiple Mines departments. He has taught Cornerstone/Capstone in Engineering Design and Society (EDS), Vehicle Dynamics and Powertrain Systems and Aerospace System Engineering in ME, and both IDEAS and Grandey Leadership by Design in the University Honors and Scholars Program (UHSP).
In his free time Adam doesn’t sit still and very rarely sleeps. He enjoys working on his truck and motorcycle as well as listening to music and creating art with pastels and charcoal. A Colorado native, he is all about the outdoors and enjoys hiking, rock climbing, and adventuring with his two dogs.
- M.S., Engineering and Technology Management, Colorado School of Mines (2016)
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines (2011)
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Colorado School of Mines (2009)
- Miller, E. and Duran, A., “A Deterministic Multivariate Clustering Method for Drive Cycle Generation from In-Use Vehicle Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2021-01-0395, 2021, doi.org/10.4271/2021-01-0395.
- Hou, Y., Moore, AM., Duran, AW., Walkowicz, KA., Smith, D., “A Hybrid Tour-Based Model for Energy Analysis of Multi-Modal Intra-City Freight: A Case Study of Autonomous Electric Vehicles,” Presented at 98th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board (TRB), Washington, D.C., January 2019.
- Duran, A., Li, K., Kresse, J., Kelly, K., “Development of 80 and 100 Mile Work Day Cycles Representative of Commercial Pickup and Delivery Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1192, 2018, doi:10.4271/ 2018-01-1192.
- Duran, A., Phillips, C., Perr-Sauer, J., Kelly, K., Konan, A., “Leveraging Big Data Analysis Techniques for US Vocational Vehicle Drive Cycle Characterization, Segmentation, and Development,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1199, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1199.
- Lammert, M., Bugbee, B., Hou, Yi., Mack, A., Muratori, M., Holden, J., Duran, A., Swaney, E. “Analysis of Opportunities for Truck Platooning from Telematics Data,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1083, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-01-1083.
- Miller, E., Konan, A., and Duran, A., “Bayesian Parameter Estimation for Heavy-Duty Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0528, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0528.
- Muratori, M., Holden, J., Lammert, M., Duran, A. et al., “Potentials for Platooning in U.S. Highway Freight Transport,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 10(1):2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0086.
- Vehicle Dynamics and Powertrain Systems
- Aerospace Systems Engineering
- Leadership by Design
- Innovation and Discovery in Engineering, Arts, and Sciences
- Senior Design