Mohsen Asle Zaeem
Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Fryrear Endowed Chair for Innovation and Excellence
Prof. Mohsen Asle Zaeem is a professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and the Materials Science program at Colorado School of Mines. He has also been named a Fryrear Endowed Chair for Innovation and Excellence. He currently serves as a member of the Mines Research Advisory Board. Prior to joining Mines, he was the Roberta and G. Robert Couch Assistant Professor in the Materials Science & Engineering department at Missouri University of Science & Technology (Rolla) and was later promoted to tenured associate professor. Prof. Asle Zaeem received his BS (2003) and MS (2006) in Mechanical Engineering from Shiraz University, and his PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Washington State University (2010).
Prof. Asle Zaeem has published 105 peer-reviewed journal articles in prestigious journals, and he is currently serving as a member of the editorial boards of Metals, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, and Reviews on Advanced Materials Science. Prof. Asle Zaeem is a Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and he is the recipient of the 2021 Faculty Research Excellence Award at Mines. He has also been recognized with the following awards: 2017 TMS-FEMS Young Leader International Scholar Award, 2016 Faculty Research Excellence Award of Missouri S&T, 2016 Highly Cited Researcher in Computational Materials Science (Elsevier), 2015 TMS Young Leader Professional Development Award, and 2015 Junior Faculty Award from Mines and Metallurgy Academy.
Prof. Asle Zaeem is the principal investigator of the Computational Materials and Mechanics Laboratory (https://zaeemlab.com/). His primary expertise is in developing and integrating atomistic and phase-field models and creating large scale numeral and simulation environments to study multiscale and multiphysics phenomena associated with solidification and phase transformation in different material systems. Prof. Asle Zaeem’s research is currently supported by the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, and NASA.
Labs and Research Centers
(Full publication list: Google Scholar)
- Lotfolapour and M. Asle Zaeem. Effects of cleavage plane and material strength on fracture of polycrystalline brittle materials: A phase-field modeling study. Computational Materials Science 197 (2021) 110642 (11 pages).
- Cissé and M. Asle Zaeem. Design of NiTi-based shape memory microcomposites with enhanced elastocaloric performance by a fully thermomechanical coupled phase-field Model. Materials & Design 207 (2021) 109898 (11 pages).
- Zhou, D. Dickel, M.I. Baskes, S. Mun, and M. Asle Zaeem. A modified embedded atom method interatomic potential for bismuth. Modelling and Simulations in Materials Science and Engineering 29 (2021) 065008 (15 pages).
- Thomas and M. Asle Zaeem. Superior sensing performance of two-dimensional ruthenium carbide (2D-RuC) in detection of NO, NO2 and NH3 gas molecules. Applied Surface Science 563 (2021) 150232 (9 pages).
- Kavousi, B. Novak, D. Moldovan, and M. Asle Zaeem. Quantitative prediction of rapid solidification by integrated atomistic and phase-field modeling.Acta Materialia 211 (2021) 116885 (12 pages).
- Kumar, A. Dey, S. Thomas, M. Asle Zaeem, and D.R. Roy. Hydrogen-induced tunable electronic and optical properties of a two-dimensional penta-Pt2N4 monolayer. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 23 (2021) 10409-10417.
- Zhang and M. Asle Zaeem. Superelasticity and shape memory effect in zirconia nanoparticles. Extreme Mechanics Letters 46 (2021) 101301 (8 pages).
- Rajput, V. Kumar, S. Thomas, M. Asle Zaeem, and D.R. Roy. Ca2C MXene monolayer as a superior anode for metal-ion batteries. 2D Materials 8 (2021) 035015 (14 pages).
- Kavousi and M. Asle Zaeem. Quantitative phase-field modeling of solute trapping in rapid solidification. Acta Materialia 205 (2021) 116562 (11 pages).
- Toghraee, J. Bair, and M. Asle Zaeem. Effects of applied load on formation and reorientation of zirconium hydrides: A multiphase field modeling study. Computational Materials Science 192 (2021) 110367 (7 pages).
- Thomas and M. Asle Zaeem. Phosgene gas sensing of Ti2CT2 (T = F −, O −, OH −) MXenes. Advanced Theory and Simulations (2021) 200250 (9 pages).
- Emdadi and M. Asle Zaeem. Phase-field modeling of crack propagation in polycrystalline materials. Computational Materials Science 186 (2021) 110057 (9 pages).
- C. Sahoo, S. Moolayadukkam, S. Thomas, M. Asle Zaeem, and H.S.S.R. Matte. Solution processed Ni2Co layered double hydroxide for high performance electrochemical sensors. Applied Surface Science 541 (2021) 148270 (9 pages).
- Cissé and M. Asle Zaeem. Transformation-induced fracture toughening in CuAlBe shape memory alloys: A phase-field study. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 192(2021) 106144 (10 pages).
- Thomas, O. Hildreth, and M. Asle Zaeem. Unveiling the role of atomic defects on the electronic, mechanical and elemental diffusion properties in CuS. Scripta Materialia 192 (2021) 94-99.
- Nobarani, N. Zhang, and M. Asle Zaeem. Nanotwin-induced strengthening in silicon: A molecular dynamics study. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 189(2021) 105990 (10 pages).
- Cissé and M. Asle Zaeem. An asymmetric elasto-plastic phase-field model for shape memory effect, pseudoelasticity and thermomechanical training in polycrystalline shape memory alloys. Acta Materialia 201 (2020) 580-595.
- Thomas and M. Asle Zaeem. A new planner BCN lateral heterostructure with outstanding strength and defect-mediated superior semiconducting to conducting properties. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 22 (2020) 22066-22077.
- Thomas, V. Kumar, D.R. Roy, and M. Asle Zaeem. Two-Dimensional boron-phosphorus monolayer for reversible NO2 gas sensing. ACS Applied Nano Materials 3(2020) 10073-10081.
- Cissé and M. Asle Zaeem. On the elastocaloric effects in CuAlBe shape memory alloys: A quantitative phase-field modeling approach.Computational Materials Science 183 (2020) 109808 (12 pages).
- Thomas, M.S. Manju, K.M. Ajith, S.U. Lee and M. Asle Zaeem. Strain-induced work function in h-BN and BCN monolayers. Physica E: Low-dimensional Systems and Nanostructures 123 (2020) 114180 (9 pages).
- Cissé and M. Asle Zaeem. A phase-field model for non-isothermal phase transformation and plasticity in polycrystalline yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia. Acta Materialia 191 (2020) 111-123.
- Azizi, B.G. Thomas, and M. Asle Zaeem. Review on peritectic solidification mechanisms and effects in steel casting.Metallurgical Materials Transaction B 51 (2020) 1875-1903.
- Emdadi, J. Watts, W.G. Fahrenholtz, G.E. Hilmas, and M. Asle Zaeem. Predicting effective fracture toughness of ZrB2 based ultra-high temperature ceramics by phase-field modeling. Materials & Design 192 (2020) 108713 (11 pages).
- S. Thomas, A. Kulangara Madam, and M. Asle Zaeem. Stone-Wales defect induced performance improvement of BC3 monolayer for high capacity lithium-ion rechargeable battery anode applications. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C124 (11) (2020) 5910-5919.
- Zhang and M. Asle Zaeem. Nanoscale flaw tolerance behaviour of polycrystalline tetragonal zirconia nanopillars. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences173 (2020) 105405 (7 pages).
- Toghraee and M. Asle Zaeem. Oxidation induced stresses in high-temperature oxidation of steel: A multiphase-field study. Metals10 (2020) 801 (14 pages).
- Zhang and M. Asle Zaeem. Effects of grain orientations and pre-existing defects on mechanical properties and deformation mechanisms of polycrystalline yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia. Materialia 9 (2020) 100553 (7 pages).
- Kavousi, B.R. Novak, M.I. Baskes, M. Asle Zaeem, D. Moldovan. Modified embedded-atom method potential for high-temperature crystal-melt properties of Ti–Ni alloys and its application to phase field simulation of solidification. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering28 (2020) 015006 (31 pages).
- Zhang and M. Asle Zaeem. Effects of twin boundaries and pre-existing defects on mechanical properties and deformation mechanisms of yttria-stabilized tetragonal zirconia. Journal of the European Ceramics Society 40 (2020) 108-114.
(Full publication list: Google Scholar)