Cristian V. Ciobanu
Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Cristian Ciobanu has earned his BSc (Physics, 1995) from University of Bucharest, Romania, and MSc (Physics, 1998) and PhD (Physics, 2001) from The Ohio State University. After a postdoctoral stage in the Division of Engineering at Brown University, he joined the Colorado School of Mines in 2004, where he is now an Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
His research interests are in nanoscale surface problems, two-dimensional materials, materials for renewable energy applications, developments of evolutionary algorithms for computational materials design and optimization of atomic structures, self-organized nano and bio structures on crystal surfaces, among others.
Prof. Ciobanu received a Research Excellence Award from Colorado School of Mines (2013) and the NSF Career Award (2009-2014). He has authored/coauthored over 60 technical publications and coauthored a book on determination of atomic structure for nanostructures and surfaces.
- B. Narayanan, I.E. Reimanis, and C. V. Ciobanu Atomic-scale mechanism for pressure-induced amorphization of beta-eucryptite Journal of Applied Physics 144, 083520 (2013)
- B. Narayanan, S.L. Weeks, B.N. Jariwala, B.Macco, J.W. weber, S. Rathi, M.C.M. van de Sanden, P. Sutter, S. Agarwal, and C.V. Ciobanu Carbon monoxide-induced reduction and healing of graphene oxide Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A (Letters) 31, 040601 (2013)
- B. Narayanan, I.E. Reimanis, H.C. Huang, and C. V. Ciobanu Radiation effects and tolerance mechanism in beta-eucryptite Journal of Applied Physics 113, 033504 (2013)
- B.B. Kappes, A. Ebnonnasir, S. Kodambaka, and C. V. Ciobanu Orientation dependent binding energy of graphene on palladium Applied Physics Letters 102, 051606 (2013)
- A. Al Mahboob, E. Muller, A. Karim, J.T. Muckerman, C.V. Ciobanu, and P. Sutter Site-dependent activity of atomic catalysts in Al-based hydrogen storage materials Journal of American Chemical Society 134, 10381 (2012)
- Y. Murata, V. Petrova, I. Petrov, C.V. Ciobanu, and S. Kodambaka Role of ethylene on surface oxidation of TiO2(110) Applied Physics Letters 101, 211601 (2012)
- C. Ban, B.B. Kappes, Q. Xu, C. Engtrakul, C.V. Ciobanu, A.C. Dillon, and Y. Zhao Lithiation of silica through partial reduction Applied Physics Letters 100, 243905 (2012)
- Y. Murata, S. Nie, A. Ebnonnasir, E. Starodub, B.B. Kappes, K.F. McCarty, C. V. Ciobanu and S. Kodambaka Growth structure and work function of bilayer graphene on Pd(111) Physical Review B 85, 205443 (2012)
- B. Narayanan, Y. Zhao, and C. V. Ciobanu Migration mechanism for atomic hydrogen in porous carbon materials Applied Physics Letters 100, 203901 (2012)
- P. Sutter, C.V. Ciobanu, and E. Sutter Real-time microscopy of graphene growth on epitaxial metal films: Role of template thickness and strain Small 8, 2250 (2012)
- B. Narayanan, A.C.T. van Duin, B.B. Kappes, I.E. Reimanis, and C. V. Ciobanu Parametrization of a reactive force field for lithium aluminum silicates Modeling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 20, 015002 (2012)
- Kinetic Phenomena in Materials
- Advanced Thermodynamics
- Advanced Mechanics of Materials