Teaching Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Bach’s research interests include rehabilitation engineering, medical device design, assistive technology design, and musculoskeletal, orthopaedic, occupational, and sports biomechanics. Techniques used range from mechanical testing to computer simulation and modeling.
Professor Bach’s research focuses on the application of engineering analysis, design, instrumentation, testing, and simulation to problems in biomechanical and biomedical engineering, He works with a team of researchers at Mines and collaborates with researchers at Assistive Technology Partners and the Orthopaedic Biomechanics Labs at CU Denver.
The collaboration with Assistive Technology Partners is in the areas of rehabilitation engineering and assistive technology with particular focus on issues of wheelchair seating and mobility and alternative computer input. The collaboration with Orthopaedics is focused on injury and reconstruction biomechanics with a particular emphasis on computer-assisted surgery. Additional collaborations with faculty as Mines are focused on rehabilitation robotics.
Other research projects include instrumentation and sensor development, device design, injury prevention and repair, and analysis of normal and pathologic biomechanics.
Brown Hall W310H
Labs and Research Centers
Ability Research and Design Group
Human Centered Design Studio
- Hancock, C. W., Winston, M. J., Bach, J. M., Davidson, B. S., Eckhoff, D. G. Cylindrical Axis, Not Epicondyles, Approximates Perpendicular to Knee Axes. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 471(7):2278–2283 (2013).
- Baldini, T., Snyder, R. L., Peacher, G., Bach, J., McCarty, E. Strength of Single- Versus Double-Anchor Repair of Type II SLAP Lesions: A Cadaveric Study. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 25(11):1257–1260 (2009).
- Weiss, M. D., Smith, J., Bach, J. M. RF Coupling in a 433MHz Biotelemetry System for an Artificial Hip. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters 8:916–919 (2009).
- Sobky, K., Baldini, T., Thomas, K., Bach, J., Williams, A., Wolf, J. M. Biomechanical Comparison of Different Volar Fracture Fixation Plates for Distal Radius Fractures. Hand 3(2):96–101 (2008).
- Rempel, D. M., Keir, P. J., Bach, J. M. The Effect of Wrist Posture on Carpal Tunnel Pressure while Typing. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 26(9):1269–1273 (2008).
- Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
- Rehabilitation Engineering
- Introduction to Biomechanical Engineering