Omid Babaie Rizvandi
Research Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Omid Babaie Rizvandi is a Research Assistant Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering of the Colorado School of Mines. He received a Ph.D. in Mechatronics Engineering from Sabanci University in 2019. Dr. Rizvandi was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Energy Conversion and Storage of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) from 2019 to 2023. Currently, his research focuses on the numerical modeling of solid oxide cell (SOC) technology. During his postdoc, Dr. Rizvandi worked on multiscale modeling of SOC stacks using a homogenization approach for the layered domains of the stack. He has been working on modeling the degradation of SOC stacks operating under fuel cell mode (SOFC) and electrolysis mode (SOEC), reversible operation of SOC, high-pressure operation of SOEC, and ammonia-fueled SOFC. During his Ph.D., Dr. Rizvandi worked on developing a pseudo-3D (P3D) model for the proton exchange membrane fuel cells (PEMFCs) to investigate their performance and lifetime under dead-ended anode (DEA) and anode bleeding (AB) operation modes.
- Ph.D., in Mechatronics Sabanci University, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences. Istanbul, Turkey
- M.Sc. in Mechatronics Sabanci University, Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences. Istanbul, Turkey
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Tabriz, Department of Mechanical Engineering. Tabriz, Iran
• Modeling of Solid Oxide Cells (SOC)
• Modeling of Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC)
• Modeling of Alkaline Electrolyzers (AEL)
• Modeling of Microfluidic Fuel Cells (MFC)
• Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Rizvandi, O.B., & Frandsen, H. L. (2023). Modeling of single-and-double-sided high-pressure operation of solid oxide electrolysis stacks. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy.
- Nami, H. Rizvandi, O.B., Chatzichristodoulou, C., Hendricksen, P. V., & Frandsen, H.L. (2022). Techno-economic analysis of current and emerging electrolysis technologies for green hydrogen production. Energy Conversion and management, 269, 116162.
- Rizvandi, O.B., Jensen, S.H., & Frandsen, H.L. (2022). A modeling study of lifetime and performance improvements of solid oxide fuel cell by reversed pulse operation. Journal of Power Sources, 523, 231048.
- Skafte, T.L., Rizvandi, O.B., Smitshuysen, A.L., Frandsen, H.L., Hogh, J.V.T., Hauch, A., & Jensen, S.H. (2022). Electrothermally balanced operation of solid oxide electrolysis cells. Journal of Power Sources, 523, 231040.
- Rizvandi, O.B., Miao, X.Y., & Frandsen, H.L. (2021). Multiscale modeling of degradation of full solid oxide fuel cell stacks. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46(54), 27709-27730.
- Miao, X.Y., Rizvandi, O.B., Navasa, M., & Frandsen, H.L. (2021). Modelling of local mechanical failures in solid oxide cell stacks. Applied Energy, 293, 116901.
- Rizvandi, O.B., Miao, X.Y., & Frandsen, H.L. (2020). Fast and stable approximation of laminar and turbulent flows in channels by Darcy’s Law. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 60, 2155-2165.
- Rizvandi, O.B., Eskin, M.G., Yesilyurt, S. (2020). Numerical modeling of anode-bleeding PEM fuel cells: Effects of operating conditions and flow field design. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46, 4378-4398.
- Rizvandi, O.B., & Yesilyurt, S. (2019). A Transient Pseudo-3D model of the PEM Fuel Cell for the Analysis of Dead-Ended Anode and Anode Bleeding Operation Modes. Electrochimica Acta, 324, 134866
- Rizvandi, O.B., & Yesilyurt, S. (2019) Modeling and Performance Analysis of Branched Microfluidic Fuel Cells with High Utilization. Electrochimica Acta, 318, 169-180.