Teaching Associate Professor
Brown Hall W350D
Jered worked for nine years in product development before joining the Mines Faculty. During that time he had the privilege to work on everything from complex weapon systems to children's toys. His specialties include systems engineering, project management for new product development, design of molded components, and dynamic mechanism design and simulation.
Jered is Director of the CECS Engineering Design Program and is passionate about teaching students engineering through project based learning. He received both his BS and MS degrees in Engineering from Colorado School of Mines. In addition to leading Senior Design, Jered is the faculty adviser for the Mines SAE Baja team, ARB Club, and CSM Racing Club.
- Lucena, J., Dean, J., (2014) "Design with Vulnerable Communities Through NGOs: Partnering Criteria, Relationship Building, and Design Pedagogy", Tech4Dev International Conference.
- Pease, J., Dean, J., Van Bossuyt, D., (2014) "Toward a Market-Based Lean Startup Product Design Method for the Developing World", ASME International Design & Engineering Technical Conference.
- Braun, R., Hanzon, L., Dean, J., (2011) "System Analysis of Thermochemical-Based Biorefineries for Coproduction of Hydrogen and Electricity", Journal of Energy Resources Technology, 133.
- Dean, J., Braun, R., Penev, M., Kinchin, C., Munoz, D., (2010) "Leveling Intermittent Renewable Energy Production Through Biomass Gassification-Based Hybrid Systems", Proceedings of ASME 2010 4th International Conference on Energy Sustainability
- EGGN 491 Senior Design I
- EGGN 492 Senior Design II
- EGGN 498A Engineering Projects That Matter
- EGGN 401 Projects for People
- EGGN 498X Energy, Water & Information
- Design pedagogy and project based learning in undergraduate education
- Product development methods for the developing world
- Systems engineering for new product development