Ozkan Celik, Assistant Professor
Dr. Celik joined Colorado School of Mines in August 2013 as an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering. He is currently the director of the Biomechatronics Research Laboratory (BRL) at CSM. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Rice University in 2011, and his B.S. and M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Istanbul Technical University in 2004 and 2006, respectively. He was as an Assistant Professor at San Francisco State University from 2011 to 2013.
Dr. Celik's research focuses on problems at the intersection of mechatronics/robotics and human sensorimotor control system. His research involves design and implementation of mechatronic and haptic interfaces that physically interact with humans for rehabilitation, augmentation and modeling of the human sensorimotor control system. Applications of this research include rehabilitation robots for patients with motor-impairments (such as stroke or SCI), neuro-biomechanical models of human sensorimotor control, human motor skill augmentation interfaces, prostheses and novel tools/devices for engineering education. For his research, he uses tools and methods provided by fields of mechatronics, robotics, haptics, system identification, control systems, and statistical analysis. Dr. Celik was a recipient of the Best Paper Award at IEEE World Haptics Conference in 2011 and of an IEEE Young Researcher Travel Award at IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics in 2009.
- O. Celik, H. B. Gilbert, M. K. O’Malley, "Dynamic displacement sensing, system identification and control of a speaker-based tendon vibrator via accelerometers," IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, vol. 18, no. 2, April 2013, pp. 812-817.
- O. Celik, M. K. O’Malley, C. Boake, H. Levin, N. Yozbatiran and T. Reistetter, "Normalized movement quality measures for therapeutic robots strongly correlate with clinical motor impairment measures," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, vol. 18, no. 4, August 2010, pp.433-444.
- O. Celik, S. Ertugrul, "Predictive human operator model to be utilized as a controller using linear, neuro-fuzzy and fuzzy-arx modeling techniques," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 23, June 2010, pp. 595-603.
- J. C. Huegel, O. Celik, A. Israr, and M. K. O’Malley, "Expertise-based performance measures in a virtual training environment," Presence: Teleoperators & Virtual Environments, vol. 18, Dec. 2009, pp. 449-467.
- Wrist Gimbal: wrist and forearm exoskeleton for stroke rehabilitation
- Haptic tunable impedance prosthesis
- Evaluation of Kinect accuracy for rehabilitation interfaces
- Velocity estimation in haptic interfaces
- Haptic paddles
Celik Research Group
Related Labs and Centers
Center for Biomechanics and Rehabilitation Research (CBRR)